Welcome to 2022! This article includes a short description with links to all new and updated content on this website since December 20, 2021. Gratitude to the wonderful Natalie MacLees of Digita11y, a web development and accessibility firm, who has upgraded the backend of my site to make the process of updating articles easier for me — and the updated content easier for readers to find!
May the new year bring health to each of you and to our planet. May democracy and justice prevail. And may the doors to the digital world finally swing wide open for everyone — with ethical design, baked-in accessibility, and true disability inclusion.
- Updated Articles on LFLegal – December 20, 2021 through January 3, 2022
- New articles on LFLegal – December 20, 2021 through January 3, 2022
- Recorded talks and podcasts updated with 2021 content
- Upcoming 2022 speaking events added since December 20, 2021
- LFLegal site changes make it easier to find updated content
Updated Articles on LFLegal – December 20, 2021 through January 3, 2022
- Winn-Dixie: Update to the April 11, 2021 article titled Narrow Winn-Dixie Court Opinion Limits Certain Types of Web Accessibility Lawsuits in three U.S. States. A new Court order basically erases the Winn-Dixie Eleventh Circuit Opinion discussed in the article.
- Domino’s Pizza: Update to the June 25, 2021 article titled Another Big Win in the Domino’s Pizza Accessibility Saga. The headline-making web accessibility case against Domino’s Pizza has now settled.
- Web Accessibility Overlays: Two updates to the November 3, 2021 article titled “Legal Update Accessibility Overlay Edition” Two more settlements (one with ADP and one with U.S. Wings, Inc.) prove that one-line-of-code software does not protect site owners from lawsuits in the United States.
- Overlay patent fight: Update to September 14, 2020 article titled AudioEye Sues AccessiBe for Patent Infringement. A December 2021 court order shows that the fight continues between two overlay companies about patent infringement.
- Kiosks: Update to the January 30, 2018 article titled Kiosk Accessibility: the Law is Paying Attention. Two new court orders in the lawsuit against Quest Diagnostics for its inaccessible kiosks allow the case to go forward as a nationwide class action.
- US DOJ: Update to October 10, 2021 article titled Legal Update: U.S. Department of Justice, U.S. Attorneys Offices, Championing Digital Access. A great web accessibility settlement with an Illinois transit agency once again shows the Biden administration’s commitment to digital accessibility.
New articles on LFLegal – December 20, 2021 through January 3, 2022
- ADP accessibility initiative: HR and Payroll Software Leader ADP to Enhance Product Accessibility: settlement to improve accessibility of workplace software used by employees of the San Francisco LightHouse. The settlement resolves a lawsuit filed by Disability Rights Advocates in which the parties used Structured Negotiation as a framework for negotiation. ADP was using an overlay by AudioEye before the lawsuit was filed and the settlement prevents its use to meet agreement accessibility goals.
- SiriusXM podcast accessibility lawsuit: Podcasts Need Transcripts: December 2021 lawsuit in United States federal court against SiriusXM: New lawsuit against SiriusXM, Stitcher, and Pandora for not captioning and providing transcripts for podcasts.
- University of Illinois Chicago accessibility initiative: University of Illinois Chicago Digital Accessibility Settlement: settlement reached in Structured Negotiation to improve digital accessibility at the University of Illinois, Chicago. Blind university employee Peter Berg was represented by lawyers at Equip for Equality in Chicago.
Recorded talks and podcasts updated with 2021 content
You can find recordings of a sampling of Lainey’s talks on the Recorded Talks and Speaking Archives page of this website. With this most recent update you can now find, among other things, the captioned recording and transcript of Lainey’s December 9, 2021 presentation on the Digital Accessibility Legal Landscape. This talk was part of the 3Play webinar series. Thank you 3Play for offering your series for not cost and (of course) with accessibility.
Podcasts and other interviews
You can find podcasts and other interviews / conversations with Lainey Feingold on the Media Page of this website. (You can also find media coverage that quotes Lainey on that same page.)
The recent updates include my conversation with Oladeji Tiamiyu of the Harvard Negotiation & Mediation Clinical Program for his Convergence Podcast, and two conversations with advocates in India about digital accessibility and the value of working in Structured Negotiation.
Upcoming 2022 speaking events added since December 20, 2021
Speaking events already scheduled for 2022 can be found on the Speaking Events page of this website. Visit the main speaking page to learn more about what Lainey can offer at your meetings, conferences, or training sessions in the coming year.
LFLegal site changes make it easier to find updated content
Those familiar with my site might notice a change while reading the updates mentioned here. It is a change I hope will make it easier (and quicker) for me to update content and for you the reader to find what you are looking for. The change, actually several, impacts how article updates appear on the site:
- Article date: At the top of each article that is updated, under the title, you will find the date the article was first published and the date of the most recent update.
- Notice of Updates: When an article is updated, under the summary there is a notice reading “Article updated.” It tells readers when the article was first published, and the date of the most recent update. There is a link directing readers to all updates which appear at the end of the article under a heading reading “Updates to this article.”
- Back to top link: At the end of the updates there is a link reading “Back to the original article text” to make it easy for readers to get to the start of the original article.
Please let me know what you think!